Veduta di Kerman

Geographical status:
Longitude: 57, 5
Latitude: 30, 17
Altitude: 1754 m above sea level
Average annual temperature: 15/5 degree

Hottest month: July with 28/4 degree
coldest month: January with 3/6 degree
Average annual precipitation: 135 mm
Maximum precipitation in one day: 60 mm
Average relation humidity: morning: %44 noon: %20
Average number of freezing day: 96 day

Population(1996): 577679


 Ganjali Khan Complex

Ganjali Khan was one of the famous rulers during the reign of Shah Abbas. As the ruler of Kerman province he

constructed many monuments and buildings. Ganjali Khan complex is composed of a school, a square, a

caravanseray, a public bath, a water reservoir, a mint house, a mosque and a bazaar. A number of

inscriptions laid inside the complex indicate the exact date when these places have been built.

Out of Ganjali Khan complex, the Khan public bath located in the grand bazaar of Kerman serves as an

anthropology museum today and attracts an increasing number of Iranian and foreign tourists. This is a

unique work of architecture with beautiful tileworks, paintings, stuccos, and arches.

The bath rendered service no later than 60 years ago. In the closet section and main yard of the bath there are

many statues which are unbelieveably interesting. These statues were designed at Tehran University's

faculty of fine arts in 1973 and then transferred to this museum.

This complex has been built during the Safavid era (1499 - 1723 AD) enjoying a modern architectural style of

the time. This bath is an association of architecture and application of an array of constructional materials in

an appropriate space with totally popular approaches. The architect of the bath and the complex is a master

from Yazd city named Mohammad Sultani.


Kerman Jaame' Mosque

Kerman's Jaame' mosque is located next to the Bazaar and constitutes part of the Mozaffari complex. Amir

Mobarezzedin Mohammad Mozaffar Maybodi Yazdi completed the complex in 1349.

During the Safavid era, 1499 - 1723 A.D., the mosque was known as Jaame' Mozaffari mosque.

Jamme' mosque of Kerman is a monument left from the post - Buyids dynasty of Iran. The mosque is located

between the two sides of the Ghadamgah Bazaar and Mozaffari Bazaar. It has three entrances which open

from the south to the Ghadamgah bazaar, from the north to Shariati avenue, and from the east to


To the east this monument has three tall and gigantic gates decorated with beautiful glazed tiles. The clock

tower on the mosque ornaments this great entrance.

The building of the mosque has two large porticos one for summer application and the other for winter

application. The courtyard of the mosque measures almost 66 meters long and 47 meters wide.


Jebellieh Dome

In the eastern section of Kerman city toward the Saheb-ol-Zaman mosque there is a stone - made dome

known as Kobra dome. The dome's plan is octagonal and on each side there are many arch vaults. There is

no precise information on the construction date and application of the monument.

The architectural style of the monument, however, suggests that the dome can be attributed to late Sassanid

era (266 - 651 AD) which has been later repaired during early Islamic period .


Great Jaame' Mosque of Yazd

The original building of the mosque was built in the 12th century AD. However the present Jaame' mosque

belongs to the Mozaffarids era during the 14th century. The glaze tile ornamentation on the entrance of the

mosque with two beautifully designed minarets highlight the artistic and architectural value of this monument.

One of its valuable inscriptions is in brick Kufic and the other in white printed on dark blue glaze tile. The

names of Sharokh the Timurid and Sultan Jahan Shah plus a date corresponding to 1457 are read on the

inscriptions mounted on the entrances.


Moshtaghieh Dome

Moshtaghieh monument in Kerman belongs to the Qajar era (1785 - 1886 AD). This building which is known

as Moshtaghieh dome is the tomb of Moshtagh Ali Shah located east of Kerman Jaame' mosque and includes

a beautiful tile work and a tall body.

Its building and courtyad are ornamented with clay tile cover. In addition to Moshtaghieh dome, two other

domes have been erected in this building and that is why this building is also known as three domes. The other

two tombs are known as Kosar Ali Shah and Sheikh Ismaeil which enjoy a valuable pulpit. The stucco wrok

and the paintings on the ceiling of the dome are fascinating.

Geographical status:Longitude: 58, 21 Latitude: 29, 6 Altitude: 1060 m above sea level Maximun annual temperature: degree Minimum annual temperature: degree .Average precipitation in one year: mm Maximum relation humidity: Population(1996): 198435
Arg - e - Bam (Bam citadel)

In the northeastern section of
Bam city and on the top of a great rock skirt a mighty citadel has been built known as Arg by the residents. This large 2 thousand year old monument is the old city of Bam. The citadel is composed of three sections namely gardens, residential units and agricultural lands and the northern sector is located along Posht Roud river. The old city consisted of 4 sections and 38 observation posts. The western section is 520 meters long, 430 meters wide and the area of the citadel is some 200 thousand square meters. Four fortifications in the south and one in the north cover the fortified residence. A very deep ditch has been dug round the citadel which kept it safe from the enemy invasion. Mud brick, clay and in scarce occasions stones, clay bricks and trees have been applied in the construction of the citadel. The complex is composed of the following sections; Entrance and residences, second entrance, stable, third gateway, artillery yard, central building or gatehouse, in which beautiful and attractive buildings have been erected.
Arg - e - Bam was evacuated 144 years ago and gradually deserted and ruined. During this period, Arg - e -Bam was looted by the aliens. During the recent years however this citadel has been repaired and care is taken to maintain it. The main building of the citadel is attributed to an ancient Iranian king by the name of Bahman.
Bam citadel is today visited by the Iranian and foreigen visitors as the world's largest mud brick monument.

According to historical narrations, Bam was founded during the pre - Islamic era and reached its peak of attention in the 10th century AD, and since then it has served as one of the five major cities of Kerman province . In view of the works and mud bricks left in this building and the coins unearthed in this citadel which belong to the Parthians, the historical antiquity of this city dates back to 250 - 227 BC.